The function of the bead is to keep the tire in contact with the rim while the tire is inflated.
- WIRE BEAD - A rigid metal wire is utilized as bead material in applications where ultimate strength is needed and transportability is not a factor.
- FOLDABLE BEAD - Foldable beads also keep the tire secured to the rim but are lighter weight and easily transported. The bead is made of spun aramid or Kevlar® fibers.
- CARBON FIBER BEAD - A flexible material with greater strength to withstand the forces exerted by a high-pressure road tire.
The function of the tyre casing is to create the foundation for the rubber tread and make the shape of the tyre.
- DUAL-PLY CASING - Two layers of casing material are used from bead-to-bead, providing additional protection and sidewall stiffness for enduro and downhill applications.
- SINGLE-PLY CASING - One layer of nylon wrapped from bead-to-bead. A single-ply casing conforms well to the terrain and is lighter weight.
TPI [THREADS PER INCH:
The number of threads that cross through one square inch of a single ply of the tire’s casing. Lower TPI gives better puncture, cut and abrasion resistance but is heavier. Higher TPI conforms better to the terrain, offering a smoother, more comfortable ride while reducing the weight of the tire.
QUICK LINKS TO MAXXIS TYRE CONSTRUCTION TYPES: